Saturday, June 10, 2017

Book Review: Relics by Tim Lebbon

Relics by Tim Lebbon
Paperback, 384 pages Published March 2017 by Titan Books

Two years ago Tim Lebbon's The Silence was my favorite read of the year. I was already a fan of his work, and I decided to pick this book up off the new releases shelf at the library on the strength of that experience. I went into Relics totally cold. I read nothing about it, not even back cover. I am not sure if I had read those things if I would have been super interested. That said I am glad I read this book, and even though I did not dig it as much The Silence I think it is a good novel.

Relics is a weird crime, urban and dark fantasy story that has elements of horror. There are many elements that Lebbon is weaving into this story which sets up a continued story. The main character Angela is a academic who is thrust into this world of poachers when her boyfriend Vince disappears and the search forces her into a secret second life he was living.

These poachers are not selling tusks or rhino horns but parts sometimes living, sometimes long dead of mythological creatures. The underworld of creature hunters is by far the more interesting aspect of this novel. The criminal underground of mobster monsters hunters was far more interesting than Angela who is our main point of view. Don't get me wrong in the 70 pages I was very invested in her search and mystery for her lost Vince.

Once we actually start to solve the mystery the underground of mobsters and monsters eclipse Angela and that is somewhat of weakness in the narrative. The criminal underground is fasinating and the mythological creatures even more so. One thing I really liked is how the story built to the revalations and yet the book ends with hints of much more to come.

I bet many of the reviews on line that are positive will focus on the ending. While I was certainly not completely sold on this novel/or story universe until the ending, as it was a perfect set-up. Lebbon's powerful ending perfectly sets the table a far more interesting second book.

In many ways when I closed the book it felt like I was reading a prequel. I don't know how else to explain it. I really liked, but didn't love this novel. That is OK, because I am glad I read it. I suspect the second book will be awesome and the fact that I want to read is the best thing I can say.

No comments: